on april 13, amidst family and friends, i turned another year older. wiser. younger. happier. scareder. funner. me-er…none of this is new wisdom, mind you. just stuff re-realized in different contexts.
1. just as the going gets rough, sisters show up like troopers, armed with crazy snacks and party songs, ready to bash away the blues.
2. the time to let go must happen slowly, with anger, resentment, sorrow and eventually deep sympathy for the loser who lost out on wonderful you.
3. sometimes, old flames make the best friends.
4. every birthday has a sparkly, magic moment. an sms, call, visitor or feeling that suddenly leaves you breathless.
5. pancake breakfasts can fix anything.
6. bother a little, it may matter a lot.
7. love is a warm pink shawl on a brisky cold evening at the beach.
8. if mama is happy, the world is happy.
9. broken hearts can be somewhat mended with the right dosage of haagen daazs belgian chocolate.
10. getting older and getting wiser have not necessarily met.
11. nothing beats the anticipatory excitement of waiting for a special occasion, mentally crossing off days till that morning dawns bright and clear, full of possibility.
12. sometimes, suddenly, in a flash, im overwhelmed by how rich i truly am. thank you, Allah mian.
13. happiness is a white kurta with bright, crazy coloured handmade flowers along the neckline.
14. i will never cease to wonder how, when it is time, human beings move on. so easily. so happily.
15. believe. believe. believe. and some more.
16. all the logic in the world will not soothe an aching heart.
17. you cant lie about about love. it’s there in your smile, in your hands, in your heart, on your face, in your eyes and it shouts pretty loudly too.
18. sometimes 5 years arent enough and sometimes 5 minutes are.
19. if you cant shout at your friends for hurting you, they might as well not be your friends.
20. if you are lucky, you will end up with your best friend as a life partner.
21. birthdays bring out the real expectations, the real feelings, the real needs.
22. only your sisters can be fiercely loyal and caustically critical in the same breath.
23. you can hide your unhappiness by dancing with abandonment to “chunnari chunnari”. it works each time.
24. true love is quiet, unassuming, not needing to be loud and proclaim its presence all over the place. it just…is.
25. girlfriends can fix anything in the course of one afternoon.
26. and as life goes on, we get more freaky about collecting the good times and storing them for the long winters ahead.
27. it takes one right person to undo the damage of several wrong ones.
28. i will love wholly, completely, truly, passionately and without reservation, for anything less is not fair to me.